When taking supplements consider the following:
- There may be side effects;
- There may be adverse reactions from interaction with other herbs or drugs;
- Controlling dosage and purity can be a problem with herbs;
- They may be unnecessary and, while not harmful, of no benefit;
- Natural doesn’t imply beneficial or harmless;
- Although some supplements contain useful drugs, they may not be suitable for self-medication because optimal control of some medical conditions should be tailored to individual risk factors and be medically monitored; and
- There is always the possibility that there is a safer, more reliable, and cheaper alternative available.